Friday 25 May 2012

Dave Pilla

Living in Leeds I'm sometimes embarrassed at my inadequate knowledge of the local music scene. There is clearly a lot of talent on the doorstep which I miss and, although the city's reputation down the years has been dominated by certain Goth and indie names, we have a thriving industry backed up by plenty of live venues.

So Dave Pilla is a new name to me but as you can see from the clips below and a listen to the tracks on his label's website, he has a certain....something.... a fragility and an ear for melody that's crying out for a lavish production. Maybe he doesn't want that, which is fine. His songs work effortlessly with just him and a delicate guitar. I like the understatedness and restraint behind the voice. His lyrics are world-weary but optimistic and I can picture him as a support act, resolutely calming a chatty crowd with his quiet power.

Hopefully, he'll get lots of opportunities like that, but for now...




                              http://davepilla.bandcamp.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment